Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Paleo Breakfast Hash

I love breakfast hashes. I make a big batch at the beginning of the week and reheat servings each morning. This ensures my husband can start the day with breakfast (because he doesn't cook anything on his own normally) with his morning coffee!

I was inspired by someone else's breakfast on Instagram, so we changed things up a bit based on what we had in our fridge and came up with this concoction. It is fantastic, tastey and, best of all, dairy-/egg-/grain-free! And there's bacon...we all love bacon!

Including Ol' Roc'!

This can be edited many ways. (Add in a handful or two of greens at the end of cooking to wilt.) Also, the amount of servings is variable on how much one eats at one time. I consume about 4oz of the hash at a time, but I believe my husband eats less...on weekdays.

Breakfast Hash
Servings: 6-10, depending

Ingredients:
3 large sweet potatoes, shredded (approx 1.5lbs)
12oz brussell sprouts, quartered
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 pieces of bacon, cut into 1/3inch strips
1-3lbs ground meat*

*Any type of ground meat; we went with ground beef this week, but I have been known to use ground bison, half turkey and half pork, etc. Also, the quantity of meat depends on your personal preference. 1lb ground meat would yield a more veggie based hash, 3lbs yields a protein packed hash (great for those of us upping our protein for increase muscle mass).


Directions:
  1. Brown the meat. Possibly add in an herb or two during this portion. I used Majoram, salt & pepper.
  2. While browning meat, prepare all veggies & bacon. (I shred my sweet potatoes using my Kitchen aid veggie shredder attachment. But this can also be done using a cheese grater, chopped in a food processor or diced by hand. You will need to adjust cooking time for the latter.)
  3. If using one pan, wait until meat is browned, drain and set aside, then begin cooking all other ingredients. If using two pans, you can cook as you prepare all other ingredients. Begin by cooking the bacon pieces. Once slightly cooked, add in garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Add in brussell sprouts and onions, cover pan and cook until tender. Add in the sweet potatoes, cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender. You may need to add in extra cooking oil (I use coconut oil) during this process if the bacon fat is not enough to prevent sticking). Stir periodically so sweet potatoes do not stick to bottom of pan.
  4. Cook until tender. Then mix together with meat mixture. Enjoy! 


One of my favorite breakfasts!

~Rachel_unrefined

No comments:

Post a Comment