Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Big D Climb-Partners in Health

Comerica Bank Tower-2015 Climb
A few weekends ago, my husband and I joined my work in participating in the Dallas Big D Climb with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. We climbed 53 flights of stairs in the Comerica Bank Tower in Downtown Dallas.

Yes, it was gruesome. Yes, it hurt. Yes, we LOVED it. Yes, we are odd.

This was my third year participating, and another PR for my books. I tell everyone I spend all year preparing for this climb, which is true! 


2013 was my first Big D Climb. By the end of the 52 story climb, my legs turned to JELLO (like the nasty sugar-laden, artificially dyed, not good for you at all kind). My work promised $50 to each individual who beat an employee's time from the year before, and I beat the time (boy do I love goals)! But I realized I had some major prep work to do if I want to do it the next year and not die.
We looked so young in 2013!




Fountain Place in Downtown Dallas
I climbed the Fountain Place in Downtown Dallas for the second time for the 2014 Big D Climb. Since my first climb, I began running with Roc' and adding air squats into my workout regime a few months before the climb. I shaved off about 40 seconds from the year prior with a time of 10:21.

My friend climbed with me, since James was out of town














I began adding weights to my squats last summer, so not only were my morning runs with Rocky and Warriors 1&2 in yoga class easier, but I felt great after the climb (I'm looking forward to skiing this year for the same reason! And because I have some gold ski pants to break in). In fact it was just my lungs that STUNG! But I dominated my time (10:16 for 53 flights) and shaved off a few more seconds from the year prior (even with adding an extra flight of stairs). I placed first in my age group and the husband placed 8th overall! What a hauss!

This year, my boss made a promise to pay each employee or family member registered with the company team $100 if they beat his time. Of the 10 people that beat his time, we took home 20% of the earnings. ;) He gave us a goal, and being the Goal Digger I am, I accepted that challenge.
Oh hello there Mr. Franklin




My husband bought a fishing pole and I, well, of course I bought some new kicks for work! ;)

Mermaid Shoes



I couldn't decide on just one pair...
















And yes, I've already begun training for the 2016 Big D Climb! ;) My strategy for training: squats, running and stairmaster. My strategy for the day of: don't start with a sprint and just keep stepping! My husband's strategy: 2 steps at a time! (I'm going to try this for 2016)

As a couple, we make it a point to participate in 6 of these type of events a year-athletic events to help fundraise for different causes. We enjoy the fun, competitive atmosphere while participating in a bigger cause. We have made Turkey Trots our Thanksgiving holiday.

We realize not every couple is wired like us. Most don't Snapchat during their workouts, ask about their weight training before "how was work today?" over dinner, have group text messages with siblings to discuss fitness or wake up early on Saturdays to run or participate in these crazy events.

But then again, not every couple were workout buddies before they began dating.

Our whole relationship was founded on a friendship that blossomed by hitting the REC at college a couple of times a week. (Ladies, if a man has seen you sweaty in non-fashionista workout clothes and THEN chooses to pursue you, he's a keeper :P )

I recently read an article about "Partners in Health" and realized it perfectly hit the nail on the head. Working out together helps us achieve our personal goals, create healthy habits together, and we encourage each other!

This health-minded foundation is what has helped us tackle every fitness & health change we have encountered and implemented into our lives. Together we fought our way to a new lifestyle after food sensitivities tests. My husband has stayed by my side as I altered my already strict paleo diet to follow the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol. I cheer my husband on during his 150 mile bike rides and 13.1 mile half marathons.

We aren't competitive with each other, or even others really. We set personal goals, sometimes inspired by others, and find a way to achieve our goals.

Having a common interest with your spouse is probably what brought y'all together. The hardest part of our marriage (not to suggest we have problems-keep reading mom!) was when we were giving up our lunch workouts to run home and let the dog out, and we hadn't made time in our week to workout together. I was stressed from lack of fitness and while we were enjoying being together doing other things, something just wasn't right. (You know that quote from Legally Blonde-totally applicable here. You know, this one: "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. They just don't!" -the wise words of Elle Woods)

This was our first year of marriage and while we tackled diet changes, we hadn't tackled workouts.

The one thing our relationship was founded on was no where in our lives. Once we pinpointed the problem and we fixed it, things have been back to normal and then some.

Most importantly, we value our health and the health of each other. We are a team; we train together, eat together and support each other. I couldn't imagine a better teammate, or a hotter spotter. ;) Do you and your spouse work together for your health?

~RR

"Number one, like yourself. Number two, you have to eat healthy. 
And number three, you've got to squeeze your buns. That's my formula."
-Richard Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment