Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Trouble falling asleep at night? Is there an Ap for that?

Yesterday I was on the brink of falling asleep around 12:30am, when i heard a thud in my room. Jack, our 9-month old Carin Terrior (think: Toto) occasionally sleeps at the foot of my bed, and last night, right as I was falling asleep, Jack rolled off the bed. This incident wasn't what caught me off guard. Rather, in the dark of the night I called out to the dog "Sparky are you okay?" of course, Jack was fine, maybe a bit confused as to what happened, but eagerly got back on the bed and fell asleep. He didn't even get mad at me for addressing him with the wrong name.

The realization of what I did made me so sad, to remember my grumpy, 13 year old Torkshire Terrior who passed away last spring. I don't think anyone or thing can ever truly replace Sparky in my heart; I just hope as time goes by, that portion shrinks as my love for my family, friends and new pets grow. I almost think this entry may be silly, a 22 year old girl still upset about the loss of a pet after a year, but there are times when I truly miss his cuddling when he knew I was upset, his persistance in sitting between me and anyone else who came to the house, his creepy smile he had when you returned to the house, his absolute hatred for any other animal, and his lack of ability to retrieve a ball. I truly believe God takes care of all of his creation, including animals. Whether that means I am greeted at the pearly white gates by Peter and Sparky or just knowing he lived a good life, I do not know, but in due time I suppose I'll find out that answer.

Until then I have an adorable Carin Terrior who can roll over, play dead and high five, and he enjoys coming in and out of the kitchen via the window (we don't have a doggie door, so I improvised. Needless to say my parents weren't happy about that stunt...). I hope Sparky isn't too mad that there's a new man in my life! (Or rather, two when you include my fiancé!) This is just another aspect of my transition from being a child to becoming a wife! Above all, I am so eager to experience the next chapter of my life with James by my side rather than just a dog! Thank you God for a fiancé who embraces me when I'm upset, stands beside me in my life, has a smile that melts my heart, enjoys being around my friends, and can retrieve a ball..... Oh wait. ;)

~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment