Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

What if you woke up 10 years younger...?

I had a thought the other morning: what if you woke up & it was 10 years ago (year 2004 for clarification), BUT knowing everything you had learned and experienced in those 10 years? Would you do things differently? How differently? Besides saving the world, how would you change just your life?

My first few thoughts were health related: start paleo earlier, get allergy blood tested earlier, begin yoga earlier (esp during stressful high school tests I let get to me way too much). Of course this matters to me, because I truly believe a change of diet could have prevented me from losing 3 feet of my intestines.

Next: Focus less on stress & drama and more time with friends.

Also: learn skills and hobbies. College would have been so much better had I been a master chef or gardener or tailor! :p

All of these given where I currently stand in my relationship with the Lord and continuing to trust more in faith.

After I was done fantasizing about sewing pillowcases on weeknights at the age of 15, I realized it's never too late to "start over". What changes can I make now to make for a better me 10 years down the road? I sure could name a few. While I am glad to say some of the things I would change I am in fact changing now, I asked myself why stop there?

The Lord gave me that thought to fantasize my "could be better" life now, though knowing all past events led me to where I am now. If it weren't for my emotional breakdown at Fish Camp over my surgery/diagnosis that led me to want to become a fish camp counselor, how could I have ever met James? Has anyone else wondered how to have met your spouse if one pivotal moment never occurred, and for the sake of the game, you knew he/she was your soulmate? I concluded I would have had to stalk James at the REC in order to meet him.

So the question is, where do I want to go from here? What does 35 year old Rachel want to know how to do? Where does she want to volunteer her time? Who are her friends?

I love the perspective that comes from trying to envision life differently. I also love waking up every day to a clean slate and opportunity to grow! New Year's resolutions come once a year, and most people don't  keep them. Why not change your life...today? It is NEVER too late!

Philosophically yours,
RR

No comments:

Post a Comment